Q.2: What is the importance of fast in Islaam?
Ans. The importance of “Saum” (fast) can be gauged from the fact that:
1. It is the fourth of five pillars of Islaam.
2. Fasts help maintain health and develop the body well.
3. Fasts cleanse and purify the heart, mind and soul.
4. Fasts acquaint the rich with the plight of the poor.
5. Fasts help promote equality among community members by bringing the well-to-do and poor at par.
6. Fasts firm up spiritual strength and weaken carnal forces.
7. Fasts help one become used to difficulties and hardships.
8. Fasts provide one with forbearance, patience and endurance against hunger and thirst.
9. Fasts provide mental and spiritual concentration and peace.
10. Fasts serve as sentinel against evils and sins.
11. Fasts inspire Islamic spirit and zeal to do virtuous deeds.
12. Observance of fast is a secret and quiet worship which is free from show and hypocrisy.
13. Fast is an effective source of warding off calamities and disasters.